Saturday, March 6, 2010

Shorts

My current obsession with short films started with this link to La Maison en Petit Cubes , last year's Oscar winner for best animated short film.   La Maison has a really familiar feel to it (NPR pointed out the opening sequence's similarity to Up, while my first impression was Babe).   But it's original as well.   Very pretty music.  Save it for when you have 12 minutes to spare. 

Then I was trying to find the Oscar nominees this year so I could at least feel like I have some skin in the game.   No luck, however, I did come across this video contest.

These links are from a contest called The Story Beyond the Still.   The first one starts out like a Hallmark card, and then not so much.   Each director took a different chapter of the same story but the second chapter is much darker than the first.   It's as if someone tried to make a continuous narrative from the Mysteries of Harris Burdick.


Chapter 1: The Cabbie from Vincent Laforet on Vimeo.



Job Security from Runner Runner on Vimeo.

No comments: