Monday, April 25, 2011

London! England!

bk and I just got back from a visit to London!  England!  (Which is a joke you will only understand if you have visited southern Kentucky.)  We did and saw so many things that it will take a long time to tell it all.  Here's the first chapter, and it has to do with what I saw while mentally preparing for the flight.   I won't go into detail, but flying is something that I used to enjoy and that I suddenly just got over.  

But that's that.   Let's go on to why we have this picture.

We tried to take a picture of all of our meals, and this is a picture of the first meal we had, and one of my favorite memories of the trip.   I don't relax often, but I was relaxed when I took this picture, and for the two hours before I took it and the two hours after.


I took this in the Detroit "Sky Lounge," on our first layover on the way out, and we had a really great view of the concourse that led to baggage claim and whatnot.  We drove to Cincy, then flew to Detroit and then we sat in the Sky Lounge for about three hours drinking wine (or bourbon, in bk's case), the occasional bloody mary, and eating a really surprisingly lovely cheese broccoli soup. 

I had never been inside this place before, but its floor-to-ceiling picture windows overlook the passenger causeway and frame a wonderful view for people watching.   We invented some fabulous histories for the passengers, the employees, and even the folks who worked in the retail shops around the place.  It was like watching a fishtank: A fishtank with a secret.

My favorite moment there was when a sea of black spots came rushing to the luggage area, like 200 bankers decided to alight there in Detroit.   They came like a cancerous wave (well, they looked like bankers) and then it flattened and they were gone.

But this picture, this shows the moment that the trip started.   The moment I relaxed.  

Although most people wouldn't have noticed it.

5 comments:

lifeinpine said...

I am so happy you were able to relax. Lovely photo. Looking forward to the next installment. Will there be photos?

Basiljaz said...

I'm sorry, I thought you said you went to London. I must be hearing things.

And I have seen you relax.

Basiljaz said...

...and tell BK he has to post too, preferably not about poop.

Julia said...

Did you really go to London? Huh? yummy soup.
Good to see Basil and Pine!

bk said...

OK, Basiljaz, look for the first London trip post from me in the next day or three. No, really.