Thursday, November 13, 2008

Blog Recommendations

A couple of ... I dunno ... rants ago, I realized that I'm in the market for new blogs to read. I was amazed at how hard that order would be to fill, but if you find yourself in a similar spot, my progress may be interesting.

Opinion I am a sucker for opinion pieces as long as the opinion is well argued and doesn't appear to have any particular axe to grind. After all, the opinions that don't match mine test mine, so if I'm feeling particularly deluded I can even find affirmation in an opinion piece that sits squarely on the other side of the fence. That said, the opinion doesn't have to bear on anything earthshattering. Here is one really interesting thing I was pointed to:
  • Roger Ebert's Blog - Did you know that Roger Ebert lost his ability to speak? I didn't. He had surgery or something and there was a complication. This post about how his voice has returned via his writing is quite moving. Honestly, I always admired his knowledge of movies, but I never liked his show. And this guy can write. I recommend his blog in general, but I also recommend his post about The Pot in particular.

Travel I'm huge for buying travel magazines (think Budget Traveler or Outside's yearly travel issue) but I read those mostly to pass time. My travel jones doesn't really kick in until I read about a place on line. (Sigh.) These sites help.

  • IGoUGo is designed for actual people who have actual jobs and can't take eight weeks in a row for a $45,000 cruise down the Nile. This site is easy to navigate and has lots of first-hand advice.
  • GoWorldTravel - I dunno, I just like this site. Well organized information, and interesting and thoughtful articles.
Fashion I love to see things that people wear. In print, I'm so distracted and aggravated by the rumors and peccadillos of American celebrities, so I usually buy the UK versions of both OK! and Hello! magazines. Love that I can laugh at what they wear but not know a thing about them. Online, I read GoFugYourself (which continues to be hilarious), but I just came across this gem:
  • The Sartorialist - This site is awesome because there's little comment and it largely comprises looks found on the street somewhere. In other words, someone wore these clothes out of the house because they wanted to wear them, not because they thought they might have their picture taken. Beautiful -- it's like art, whether you like the clothes or not.

So, that's how the hunt for new blogs goes. Recommendations are welcome.

1 comment:

bk said...

I don't always agree with his reviews, but I agree that Ebert is a hell of a writer. He seems like a pretty genuinely decent guy as well, I hate that he's going through what he is. Glad that he's finding a way to make his voice heard nonetheless!