Thursday, November 20, 2008

The New Phone Books are Here! The New Phone Books are Here!

Well, actually, I did get a new phone book, but I also got a new phone, which has a better story.

I filled out a thing on line because I got a good discount through work (shocker!), and (after already giving my name, home address, date of birth [wtf?], and SSN) when I got to the driver's license field I blinked and -- suddenly -- I balked.

Second off, let me just say, people and organizations ask for very personal information all of the time and IT IS ALMOST NEVER WARRANTED. This is a pet peeve. Anyhoo, I got there and said to myself, no, line-in-the-sand, no.

So the guy calls me and says, hey, uh, prettygoodlife, I got your order, but I saw the zero in your DL and, uh, I really need that. I gave him back the exact same speech, first denying that I even had a DL, and then making up another story, and he said, well, it's policy, and I said, well, I'm talking to you on a cell phone right now, I don't need you. Sorry, can't have my DL.

...time passes...

Then he calls back to try to convince me of the difficulty in which he finds himself, it being company policy and all, and he said to me one of the sweetest things ever. He said, "Help me to help you. If you had a driver's license number, what would it be?" I, of course, assured him it would be "12345" and he thanked me and ...

... I think I'm getting a new phone.

OK, and if you don't like that, try the Flaming Lips and a sweet story of robot love. I think.

No comments: