Friday, January 30, 2009

Storm Update

After the power came back for me yesterday, bk and I put on our WinterTrax (I repeat, I cannot recommend this product enough) and went for a walk around the golf course. Saw a lot of animal tracks in the snow, including rabbits, ravens, and deer.


It's better here, the storm itself has passed; it hasn't actually warmed up any since we got the ice, and then snow on top of that, so trees and power lines that have done well up to now are starting to fail. I just got word that the power went out in the building where I usually work (I'm working from home today). And then, one by one, services I was accessing remotely started to fail. I guess I'm pretty much done with working today except for some reading I have to do.


It will all be fine, I will personally be fine, it's just aggravating and a bit scary. There are over half a million people in Kentucky who are currently without power, and -- based on what I just heard from the office -- that number is going up, not down.




Tomorrow we expect temperatures above freezing for the first time in days so that will give some relief to the trees and power lines. And it should stay warm (if you can call high 30's warm) through Monday, when we get a new storm (but probably not so bad).



Before it started snowing again this afternoon, we had a nice patch of sunshine. It made the ice shine so I grabbed this shot of my favorite stand of trees just across the 13th fairway. You'll probably have to click on it to see the sparkles.

No comments: