Friday, January 2, 2009

Looking Forward to 2009

I have been on vacation since Christmas, so it is probably not surprising that I have done very little of any use or consequence since I got home on Christmas Eve.

One of the things I have done is give a lot of consideration to my resolutions for 2009. I read a blog called The Happiness Project (oooooh, more about that later) because she had an interesting discussion about making personal commandments for yourself. Things like thou shalt or thou shalt not, followed, as you can imagine, by typically unattainable behavior.

I think I'm going to set some goals - rather than commandments - and that adjustment is based on the fact that violating a commandment must obviously incur an actual penalty of sorts. I saw one sample (heh, a sample commandment, God should have tried that) that struck such a chord with me that it is where my list of goals for the year starts. Some of it might not make sense or you might think, duh, of course, that goes without saying. Lucky you, not having to think about it.

Goals For 2009
  • Don't rehearse unhappiness
  • Fit into all three pairs of jeans that I love, or give them up
  • Do something nice
  • Say something nice
  • Set a good example
  • Do something useful and important every day
  • Enjoy drinking responsibly
Wish me luck.

* * *

Here's a great video of an interesting musician who is new to me (although she did vocals for Zero 7, which I've always loved). The sound quality here isn't great, but it's a cool performance. If you want to see some inventive music videos, go to YouTube and search for Sia. Buttons is especially cool.



* * *

All that said, let us step back to The Happiness Project. Go ahead, click on the link, take a look, jump on back, I'll wait here.

Now that you're back, what the hell is up with her picture? I mean, this is a professional person, she's a Yale Law graduate, she's working on a book, she does podcasts, she has written two books -- and that's the best photograph they can find? I don't mean to be shallow, but lord, I can't help myself. It's an awful photograph and I just don't get why she chose it. She looks ill and peevish.

p.s. And if my goal to "Say something nice," had been a commandment? I'd have to lose an eye right now.

That's just one more advantage to my approach to 2009.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Peevish, good word. I would say glamour-shot-titis myself!
Here is to your resolve for 2009. Those are some fine aspirations you have dear. I have no doubt that you will do quite wonderfully with each and every one of them!

Basiljaz said...

Don't rehearse unhappiness - that's the best one. Sort of my personal motto, really.

Of course, I suck at all the rest.

Basiljaz said...

That song was noice. Off to iTunes I am.