Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Winter

Today felt a lot like a jigsaw-puzzle-doing, hot-chocolate-sipping, can't-see-out-the-ice-covered-windows kind of day. Unfortunately, I didn't do any of that except the not see out of the windows part.

I wish I could express how awful is this season. I know that it makes us appreciate the other three seasons all the more, and it pains me to say it, but I count every single day.

Basiljaz asked me where I've been hiding and I wanted to tell her I've been hiding under all this snow and ice. Look for me in the spring.

Bluegrass Kentucky doesn't get a lot of snow, but it gets enough, and it's cold enough that we see a lot of ice. This morning bk's car got a lovely frosting from what the weather folks call a "wintry mix."

As you might imagine, I stayed home today because we had an advisory and (as I tell anyone who will listen), "I'm from Arizona and -- pffft! -- I don't drive in this."

bk and I both worked from here this morning (on my new wireless network!!!). He had to go get his tribe this afternoon so he warmed up the car and we started chipping away. Secretly, that part was entirely awesome because a lot of it came off in great unwieldy chunks that we were able to hurl around the yard under the guise of laboring against the elements.

I didn't actually get a lot of work done today, mostly because I was pretty distracted by the world outside, but also because I received more or less constant updates on who was working from home and how I can reach them, as well as the seriousness of the condition of the parking lot at the office and that everyone really needs to understand that it's a solid sheet of ice, people! We are closing the switchboard!!!

So then I thought I might take some pictures. I tried on my new WinterTrax (instant traction when you need it and they slip into your glovebox when you don't. One size fits most. Awesome product. $15 at Meijer.) and went out for a bit.

I didn't see much. My neighbors' patio set looks almost Victorian with all the icicles (you really have to click on the picture above to appreciate it). My gas meter looks otherwordly with an inch of ice across the top. My grass is amazing and crunchy and clean looking. Now that the sun is down the streets are shiny and treacherous.

The power blinked twice today.

Everything is quiet.

9 comments:

bk said...

PGL advised me that I should click on all the ice pictures to check out the close up view, and she was right. They look so cool! Even my crappy car looks cool with all the ice on it...

Thought I'd mention it here so that anybody else checking out the pictures would also take a look at the closer ones.

Incidentally, I just got off the phone with PGL and she is currently without power. I wish I hadn't headed home today so I could keep her company. Looks like temps will get above freezing for her overnight, so hopefully some of the ice will be gone by lunchtime tomorrow.

Basiljaz said...

The ice is pretty. Until it pierces your head.

bk said...

Not a A Christmas Story reference! ;)

bk said...

The ice has been replaced (well, covered) by snow. I picked up PGL this morning and brought her back with me. I'm sure there'll be more pics posted here later - the snow looks great! We're doing a cool 3D puzzle now and we just made fresh salsa and guacamole for later.

Basiljaz said...

No, not a Christmas Story reference (remember, I hated it!). Mmmm salsa. I saw some cool pics on CNN's website from Lexington. Snow days rock.

bk said...

Yes, I remembered that you hated it - that's why I thought I'd bring it up. :)

Julia said...

I have been thinking about you and BK with all that crazy weather! Hope your power is back on by now?

prettygoodlife said...

The power is back on, and I'm back at home. The power folks are indicating that the number of outages may rise since it's still just as cold as it was, and trees that could bear the extra weight for 24 hours can't hold it for 48. We'll see.

I'm warm and safe for the time being and the roads are clear. If I lose power, at least I have an easy route to safety and I lined up a place to stay tonight just in case I have to leave.

Julia said...

Glad you are ok. Those are some nice pictures, seems real quiet there (combination of cold, ice, and no power for many perhaps). The house in Chetek froze, 3,000 dollars in pipe repairs! It is time for some non-winter-like respite for all of us.
Stay safe sis.