Sunday, July 13, 2008

Movies & Other Silliness

I saw two great John Hurt movies this weekend -- not that I was looking for John Hurt movies, but that's just the way it happened.

V for Vendetta -- Four out of five stars. It's creepily appropriate to what's going on in the world today and it just makes me want to be disobedient.

Best line: "People shouldn't be afraid of the government; government should be afraid of the people."

Hellboy II - The Golden Army -- Five out of five stars. Guillermo Del Toro did an amazing job with this movie. It's really funny, it's visually spectacular, it has good action and great special effects, and -- acknowledging that it's fantasy -- the plot holds together. Moreover, the whole tone of it just feels right and I liked the way they resolved the story but left some really good teasers for another sequel. I was a little disappointed that they did not bring back David Hyde Pierce as the voice of Abe, but that's my only complaint. Go see this in a theatre.

Best line: "I'm not a baby..." (and I won't spoil the rest of that for you). ;-)

Other Silliness -- While I was on vacation the hostas ... um, passed their prime, so to speak. But I did say I would take a picture after they bloomed:




As usual, click for a better look.

2 comments:

bk said...

That's funny. I had forgotten that Hurt was in V, but now that you mention it...

And I went to look at the credits on IMDB for Hellboy, and it does list DHP as the voice for Abe (and says he was uncredited). I guess I never realized it when watching the first that it was him, so I didn't notice that it had changed for HB2. I know how it is when you recognize a voice like that - you do want it to always be the same. Wonder if he was busy this time around?

Anyway, I agree, both are great flicks.

prettygoodlife said...

When he first showed up in HB2 I thought, Hey, that's the maniacal leader! What's he doing here?

I was looking at imdb on both movies and I guess Rupert Graves (who was in HB1 and V4V) also was supposed to be in HB2 (but couldn't make it) so it could have been an obscure-English-actors-all-the-time kind of weekend.