Friday, August 29, 2008

Art & Artists

Speaking of Dale Chihuly (and we were), I love his work. I have always loved glass, either as beads, or a mosaic, or a solid piece (or a worked piece, or a formed piece or ... just anything). My favorite glass pieces are hung in windows so that sunlight comes through them and they always look different.




This is a piece from my house and obviously not a Dale Chihuly, but it's very pretty. About 12" in diameter, and about an inch thick. It's hollow.

If you follow this link, you can see some of the works of Dale Chihuly, and you can see all kinds of ways he's created with glass and light. The link is fun, because it has a bit of embedded video.

This link is nice too, but it's a specific (temporary) installation in Venice. My favorite piece is the Campiello Remer. The Squero di San Trovaso is nice too -- it reminds me of those glass balls Japanese fishers used to attach to their nets.

Also -- just so that I can get all of the art news out of my system -- I went to the art fair recently and got a couple more pieces by Vivienne Lee. She's a chinese painter and I now have three of her prints. Her prints come matted with (obviously) the print, and a small original painting in the same vein as the print. I love her stuff. She does a sort of non-sensical landscape as a background (the three I have include an impossible hill, impossible lights, and an impossible forest), and then populates it with happy working people. People running, people on bikes, ducks, pigs, and -- in a new favorite -- fireflies.

This detail is from the one with the impossible forest (it's called Banyan Trees). In the print I have, the people are about a quarter of an inch tall (not including bikes). The print itself is 22 x 28.

No comments: