Saturday, August 30, 2008

Site Updates

I've made a few small updates to the site that I hope will make it easier to use.

Subscribing - Check out the new Subscribe to Me buttons at the top right. In the old days, I kept a list of favorite blogs and periodically I would go to each site looking for updates. Inevitably, though, some authors don't update for months so you stop tracking them rather than take the disappointment of seeing the same old post when you go to their site. By subscribing, your reader service monitors your list of blogs and automagically lets you know about any updates. That means that you can learn about my fondness for Rainier cherries and Peter Gabriel in the same feed and with the same gravitas as finding out about the latest news from Iraq. There are lots of different reader services, but I've only ever used one so it's the only one I can recommend: Google Reader. Follow that link to find out more. Basiljaz uses NewsGator, so I think that's a good option as well. Trust me, once you start subscribing to feeds, your internet reading becomes so much more productive.

My Blog List
- I updated the format for my blog list so that in addition to the title of the blog, you can also see a link to the latest entry and when that entry was made. The list always sorts the most recently updated first, but this should make it a little more meaningful. For example, if my link to Pound ever jumps to the top, it's probably worth reading. I have actually read both of her books and I think she hasn't updated the blog in a while because she's working on Book the Third. Check out her other website Candyboots and click on the individual cards on the right. You'll thank me later. Be sure to note that each page has a separate title (look at the title page on your browser) and if she provides any links in the individual pages, click on them. She's a hoot.

Last thing -- this blog entry itself is an experiment because I'm trying to post from my email account. We'll see how it works. Posting via Twitter comes next!

No comments: