Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Allergies

This post probably has a lot more detail about what's wrong with me than you want. I'd move on to that article about NPR if I was you.

Jus' sayin'.


From the time I was small I have always been allergic to something. Initially, it was milk (I drank soy before it was cool!), eggs, and a variety of growing things ... along with stuff they could never pinpoint (I once had an allergy test that looked like a long string of mosquito bites). Then I grew and got over it and the frequency eased to once or twice a year. And then about ten years ago I moved to Kentucky.

Since then I have had two serious bouts with allergies:
  • February, 2002, while returning from a trip to Arizona
  • October, 2008, while returning from a trip to Arizona
I was in Arizona over the weekend and had a fabulous geo-caching day (16!) but we did a lot of desert tramping and I think I got one of those un-pinpointable things up in my head and -- well, I'll be honest, I really want to go to some dark unknowable place right now until this is over.

While flying from Sky Harbor to Blue Grass yesterday, everyone I looked at gave a glance and decided they wanted absolutely no part of what I had going on. Both eyes were swollen and watering, my nose was rubbed raw, and I had this weird dry cough.

This morning, I woke with one eye sealed shut and mid-size drifts of aloe-infused tissue surrounding my bed. Ech. I feel everything in my head. I know where my brain is and I feel the roots of my teeth. If I breathe like a normal person I feel cool air swirl through the middle of my skull with every breath, and my eyes are crying to get out -- so I breathe through my mouth. I'm not stuffed so much as empty and I am constantly 40-60% about to sneeze.

I seriously mean this: I don't know who they are, but god bless the folks who invented Puffs Plus and Benadryl.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I know it will be better then.

3 comments:

Basiljaz said...

The people on the plane were probably thinking "OMG! She's got Ebola!!!"

bk said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Julia said...

Sweet Pea!

Blame our father for the allergies. I mean it!

~Julia