Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reset

We had to reset our layoff clock today. To zero.

As far as I know, today is the first time that someone who was not laid off was comforted by someone who was laid off, as the person who was not laid off was bawling her eyes out over the news. (No, not me, although that was my initial reaction.)

Here's the funny part (in a rather long story). OK, so P (good guy) was talking to PH (good but boring guy) and P (good guy) asked, hey PH (good but boring guy), what's up this afternoon and PH (good but boring guy) said, well, I just have this meeting with me and the AH (corporate guy) between 2 and 3. So at 2:40, P (good guy)gets a text from the AH (corporate guy) and it says, hey are you available for a call? So P (good guy) says sure and the AH (corporate guy) calls P (good guy) and says, well, we're laying you off, you have thirty days to clear your stuff, see ya later (end of the AH's (corporate guy's) involvement in this story). So P (good guy) goes to PH (good but boring guy) later in the day to explain what happened and PH (good but boring guy) says, No! No Way! I had a meeting with the AH (corporate guy) during the hours you say that happened. He would have had to put me on hold, converse with you for three minutes, then come back to me as if nothing had happened.

((cricket noises))

What kind of company --- nay, what kind of people, stretch a series of layoffs over 12 days?



Edited to fix identity problems.

3 comments:

Basiljaz said...

The company you work for. Get out.

Basiljaz said...

Love the Patty Griffin clip, BTW. What's your favorite album of hers? I don't have any but want me one.

prettygoodlife said...

I'm really fond of the album that this song came from, but I'll go back and look. I also like Flaming Red, but that was such a departure from her typical stuff. When we get back from Az I'll go through all of them and pick a winner for you. ;-)